Wednesday, September 25, 2013

My Heart Belongs to TJ

As I mentioned in a previous post, I am originally from Florida.  Unfortunately, Trader Joes, aka TJ, was nonexistent in Orlando.  A year and a half ago I took my first steps in Trader Joe’s and fell in love.  Why you ask?  What’s not to love?! Inexpensive, healthy frozen meals for single girls in need of a good meal, snacks on snacks on snacks (and I’m not talking goldfish- I’m talking Thai Lime & Chili Cashews, Dark Chocolate Covered Powerberries, Speculoos Cookies dipped in Cookie Butter, just to name a few), fresh produce that doesn’t cost my entire paycheck, and a wine and beer selection that’s better than most local wine stores (oh and half the price)! 

Throughout the past year and half I’ve tried many things from TJ’s- shrimp fried rice, fresh arugula, spinach and kale Greek yogurt dip (sounds gross but is divine- I eat it by the spoonful), salmon burgers, champagne, wasabi roasted seaweed snacks, among many other things- but there’s been so much more that I either haven’t tried or am nervous to try.  I say nervous only because TJ’s offers the best frozen meals in every cuisine imaginable- Indian curry, Italian meatball flat bread, Korean kimchi, etc .  

I wanted to know more about certain TJ products before I bought them, so I decided to Google Trader Joe’s product reviews.  I stumbled across this blog, What’s Good At Trader Joe’s, and was hooked.  Nathan, the author, gives his honest opinion and explains exactly why he likes or dislikes a certain product.  I may not always agree with him, but I have to admit I’ve actually bought items at TJ’s because of his reviews.  So, for those of you who are TJ virgins or are looking to try new items there, I’ve put together my list of favorites, must haves, and need to try.  WARNING: don’t read this if you are hungry.



Cookie Butter- aka the first TJ's product I bought
Trader Joe’s Cookie Butter- made with speculoos cookies.  They taste like Delta's Biscoff cookies but in peanut butter form- comes in crunchy too.  Dangerous to keep in my apartment for fear of eating the whole thing in one sitting. 



Champagne- this is the BEST on budget champagne I’ll buy. At just $5.39 a bottle you are probably wondering why. Because it’s delicious, tastes like it’s from Champagne, France, goes great with OJ and at $5.39 a bottle it can’t be beat.




I've had macaroons from HERE in Paris and to be honest, these are just as good!
Pumpkin Macaroons- this is a recent try and the verdict is OBSESSION. I only allow myself to eat two a night because I could eat the whole box. Perfectly creamy and crunchy, not too sweat, and packed with pumpkin flavor. A must buy for fall season.



 

Pumpkin pancake and waffle mix- can you tell it’s Fall? I am a huge pumpkin anything fan so naturally this needs to be on the list.   


Trader Joe’s Egg White Salad with Chives- also a recent try and I’m addicted now. Super light and fresh and perfect to take to work for lunch.




Dying to use these in my Tater Tot Casserole
Sweet Potato Tots- Nathan’s review of these was spot on, they don’t really get crispy like they should in the oven, but for some reason I don’t care. The sweet potato flavor in tater tot form is on point. 


Great healthy game day snack!
Reduced Guilt Spinach and Kale Yogurt Dip- anyone who knows me knows I can easily survive on snacks, dips and appetizers and sometimes actually prefer them over regular meals. This dip is so delish I put that s**t on everything- crackers, chips, celery, in wraps, with a spoon, you name it. If you like spinach dip I would definitely recommend trying this. You can find it in the refrigerator aisle, but I recently served it in a bread bowl heated up in the oven and it tasted even more delish!


Hope these reviews are helpful- happy TJ shopping!



No comments:

Post a Comment