Tuesday, December 10, 2013

All of the Lights

Last Thursday I received a text from NG asking if PR and I wanted to go to the National Christmas tree lighting along the National Mall.  UMMM Yes of course I did!  I immediately emailed PR asking if he was up for it.  He responded yes and shared the link to the website promoting all of the performers for the night.  PR also mentioned that he thought I would enjoy listening to The Avett Brothers. Confession: I have no idea who the Avett Brothers are, so I decided to take a peek at the website to see who else was slated to perform that night.  And then I saw it.....MARIAH FREAKIN CAREY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Anyone who knows me knows that I can easily listen to "All I Want for Christmas is You" year round. It's actually one of my all time favorite songs.

On Friday, we all left work a little early and headed to the White House for the ceremony.   The program was scheduled to begin at 5:00 p.m.; however, with the amount of people that attend you have to line up at around 2:30 in order to get a good spot.  SIDE NOTE: Thanks to SP for working with Barack - he scored us seated tickets for the program.  That's a huge deal considering you have to be entered in a lottery system just to get standing area tickets.  ANOTHER SIDE NOTE: Thursday night I decided to look at the forecast for Friday - 100% chance of rain all day. So there we stood, in the rain, from 2:30-4:00 p.m. which is when we were finally allowed into the sectioned off area.  Luckily, we got great seats, so we sat there, in the rain until the program began.  Because this event was televised, we were not allowed to use our umbrellas during it.  So, as the rain came down even harder, we started getting pretty chilly.

BUT WHO CARES!! We saw the first family, Train, The Avett Brothers (still undecided about them), Aretha Franklin and her white mink coat, some American idol alums (totally fillers, could have done without), and at the very end we saw Queen Mariah kill it on stage singing my fav song- totally worth it!!!!  The best part is that sooooo many people left during the program because the weather became so unbearable, that we were able to leave our seats to find closer ones! Oh and did I mention the tree is absolutely gorgeous?! Love all things Christmas

Stage set up- patiently waiting with our umbrellas in hand

Side stage- Some of the performers sang on this stage for some reason

The sky looks so miserable!

OBSESSED with the Manora- have to be religiously correct ride?!

Pre tree lighting- the stage was actually so pretty!

Very fuzzy photo but love the way the White House lights up at night
ALL OF THE LIGHTS!!

Aretha- in her white fur coat- with her "umbrella handler"

QUEEN MARIAH...white gloves and all

LOVE pic stitch



No comments:

Post a Comment