Monday, December 2, 2013

I'm Thankful

How was your Thanksgiving?!? Mine was so great, but unfortunately WAY to fast!  I spent this Thanksgiving with my dad's side of the family in New York.  I haven't seen them or visited Long Island in about 4 years, so this trip was way over due.  My dad has four sister's and it was so great to see all of them and my uncle's and cousins.  The best part was seeing my Grandma.  It's crazy to see how times change and in just a few months how people can change.  She's getting older but is still as sharp as a tack and wittier than ever.

Thursday morning I drove to NY with PR and his sister- dropping them off along the way in New Jersey.  The drive was actually really easy and pretty enjoyable.  I arrived at my Aunt's house at about noon.  The day was jam packed with food, catching up, stories and games.  It was so fun to listen to my dad and his sister's reminisce on the "good ole days"- it's like things picked up where they left off.

The food of course was so delicious.  We started off with a nice cheese and prosciutto tray, like most normal Italians do.  Then, my Aunt heated up her famous sausage bread.  This thing is legendary, usually only makes appearances during the holidays, and is devoured within minutes.  My Aunt even told me a half of loaf went missing because my brother and cousin ate it when they got home the night before after going out.  I begged my Aunt for the recipe, and after following the directions extremely closely, it still does not turn out as good as hers. 

Sausage Bread- divine design
Naturally, we had two turkeys- one fried and one baked.  Both were equally delicious.  I was really proud of the boys for not starting any fires in the back yard!

It's like a Thanksgiving Trophy
 To accompany the turkey's we has mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes (not mashed, but cut into slices, amazing!), brussel sprouts, ham, green bean casserole, and cranberry sauce.  You know, the usual

Dessert was heaven- authentic New York Cheesecake bigger than my face with strawberries on top that were the size of baseballs.  There was also cannoli's and cookies

Family Games and Cheesecake
Before going to bed we all played a fun dice game.  I have no idea what it's called, but essentially everyone starts with $3, you continue to roll dice, and in the end you hope to have the pot of money

How cute are they?!?!?
 After our NY visit, my family came to visit me in DC.  My brother has never been to DC while I've lived here, so it was so great to host him and my parents.  I took them to The Italian Store, Graffiato, two museums, around the national mall, and even did a little shopping around Georgetown.  Nothing beats family time, especially during the holidays!  I miss them already, but LET THE COUNTDOWN TO CHRISTMAS BEGIN!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment