Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Barbeque, Beers, and Bands...The Trifecta



I’ve been to Hill Country DC three times now, and every time I’ve had so much fun.  Hill Country is a market style barbeque restaurant.  When you first sit at your table the waiter will hand you a “meal ticket” which you will take to the “market” to place your order.  You first get to choose what meats you want- roast chicken, brisket, ribs, sausage- all to die for.  You also get to decide how much of each you want.  Then you head to get your sides.  Some might say the sides are even better than the meat.  You get to choose from mac & cheese,  baked beans, chili, collard greens with bacon, coleslaw, green bean casserole, corn pudding, sweet potato bourbon mash (one of my favs!), among others.  If your belly still has room after all of the food, I would definitely recommend dessert- banana pudding, seasonal crisps, sweet potato bread pudding, PB&J cupcakes –are just a few options to choose from.  The drinks are served in cute mason jars, and if you are a well-seasoned beer drinker get excited because the bar is modeled after a Texas bar with Shiner beers on tap.  

The best part about Hill Country is the hidden gem downstairs below the restaurant.  The first time I went to HCDC was actually to see one of PR’s favorite country singers, Roger Creager.  Below the restaurant is the best bar/music venue.  I’ve never been to Austin, Texas, but this is what I imagine a bar to look like in Austin.  It’s dark, with string lights hanging from the wood bean ceiling.  Shiner continues to flow from the longhorn styled taps, and the bar is decorated perfectly with vintage cowboy boots lining the railings.

I was so excited to discover that Mr. Creager was coming back to HCDC, so I had to immediately buy tickets.  Thank goodness I did because the show ended up selling out.  Not only is he one of the best live performers I’ve seen, but he also just seems like the coolest, most down to earth guy.  He’s doing what he loves, and you can totally tell.  My pictures below do not do HCDC justice, so I recommend checking it out for yourself!  

Front Entrance- Texas in the City

Bar inside the main dining room

"The Market"



 
Downstairs

Sample Meal

Downstairs before it was packed

LOVE the bar set up



No comments:

Post a Comment