Thursday, October 31, 2013

Hate Losing, But I'll Take Silver



Today, I competed in my first ever Halloween costume contest at work.  If you read my blog yesterday then you already know that my Halloween costume was super last minute.  I really wanted to partake in the contest, especially since my company was offering vacation hours to those that won, but unfortunately this week has been a bit cray, so my preparation was VERY limited.  So, that’s why when I came across the idea of being an iron chef I was sold!  All I needed was an apron, some spatulas, and an iron – things I currently have in my apartment.  To top off the costume (and hopefully add some bonus points), I decided to bake some delicious Halloween sugar cookies.  There’s always a “secret ingredient” thrown in the mix on the show Iron Chef, so I decided to do this as well, and had the costume judges and my co-workers guess what the secret ingredient was in the cookies.  I added a candy corn to the cookies, and BAM there’s the “secret ingredient”. 

So at 12:00 all costume participants lined up and did a parade, one by one, for those not participating and for the judges.  We even skyped in our colleagues who are working remotely today.  There were some really great costumes – two people dressed up as North West (Kimye’s baby), one person as a furloughed employee, another as a leprechaun (the owner of our company is from Ireland, so very appropriate), and there was even some crayons.  The winner of the competition was a Washington Redskins sack of potatoes.  She donned a Redskins jersey and helmet and attached redskin potatoes to her costume! My iron chef costume came in second, thanks to the attached iron and the delish cookies, and tied for third was the leprechaun and the 1980’s skier. 

The competition was really fun and a nice break in the day!  We even enjoyed some cookies and Halloween candies and treats after the competition.  If you are like me and in desperate need of a costume – an Iron Chef is the way to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment